A dessert staple in Britain since the 1700s, trifles were often made with almond biscuits soaked in sweet wine
and topped with custard and whipped cream. Now they come in endless flavour combinations, including this version made with rich chocolate cake, strawberries and layers of milk chocolate shavings for the ultimate chocolate Christmas dessert.
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- ½ tsp (3 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) lightly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- ⅜ cup (95 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt Excellence 99% Cacao dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (190 mL) buttermilk
- 1 bar (100 g) Swiss Classic milk chocolate, chopped
- 4 ½ cups (1 L) frozen whole strawberries
- ¾ cup (190 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, or 1 tsp (5 mL) of vanilla extract
Assembly and Garnish
- 2 cups (500 mL) 35% cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 bars (200 g) Lindt Swiss Classic milk chocolate, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped almonds, toasted
- 7 – 8 (100 g) Lindor 70% Dark Chocolate Truffles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-inch loaf pan and dust lightly with cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour with cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugars with butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1 minute. Reduce to medium-low and stream in melted chocolate until combined.
- Add egg and mix until just combined, scraping down sides of bowl if needed. Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture into butter mixture in 3 parts, alternating with buttermilk in 2 parts. Add chopped chocolate. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake in centre of oven until a tester inserted into the centre of loaf comes out clean, 1 hour. Transfer to a rack. After 10 minutes, run a knife around sides of loaf. Turn out of pan. Invert and cool completely on rack, about 2 hours. Cut cooled chocolate cake into 3 ½-inch slices.
In a large pot, combine strawberries with sugar, water, cinnamon, vanilla seeds and vanilla pod, or vanilla extract if using. Set over medium-high heat and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until mixture is syrupy and reduced to 2 ½ cups, 8 to 15 minutes. Mash strawberries lightly with a fork. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Discard cinnamon and vanilla pod, if using.
Assembly and Garnish
- Whisk cream with sugar and vanilla seeds in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Arrange one-third of the chocolate cake slices in the bottom of a 12-cup trifle dish. Layer with one-third each of the chocolate shavings, almonds, whipped cream, and strawberry mixture. Repeat layering until all is used. Garnish with Lindor Truffles and chocolate shavings. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
PERFECT PAIRING: A rooibos tea’s earthy notes and hints of sweet vanilla complement milk chocolate’s flavour profile.