Scottish Shortbread with Lindor Topper
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES (+ CHILLING TIME)
SERVINGS: 20 COOKIES
This Christmas classic is sure to be the star of your cookie exchange.
Shortbread is a crowd-pleaser that’s popular year-round, but especially during the holidays. This stacked, star-shaped version is topped with a Lindor Truffle, but there are many shortbread variations you could bring along to a cookie exchange. Try these popular Lindt Mint Chocolate Shortbread Trees or even a Classic Lindt Shortbread with Sea Salt.
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (125 mL) Redpath® Collection Organic Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp (3 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 bar (100 g) Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 bag (150 g) Lindor 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Truffles, or 10 Lindor Chocolate Truffles in a preferred flavour, sliced in half
- Place butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl with an electric hand mixer), and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, 1 minute. Beat in vanilla. Add flour and salt and mix on low speed until a dough forms.
- Gather into 2 balls, then flatten each into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour. For easy rolling, dust a large sheet of plastic wrap with flour. Place 1 disc of dough on top. Lightly dust dough with flour. Top with another sheet of plastic. Roll out dough ¼ inch (6 mm) thick.
- Cut half the dough using a 2½-inch (6-cm) star cutter and the remaining dough using a 2-inch (5-cm) star cutter. Place cookies 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake cookies until the bottoms are slightly golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
- Once cookies are cool, melt Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly. Place a drizzle of chocolate in the centre of each large star. Top with a smaller star. Place another drizzle in the centre of the small star and top with half of a Lindor 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Truffle. Refrigerate cookies 10 minutes to set.