Lindt Panettone Baked French Toast
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES (+ CHILLING) COOK TIME: 45–55 MINUTES SERVINGS: 5 TO 6
Our fluffy baked French toast is so good you won’t be able to stop at just one slice!
Gather the family to enjoy a limited edition Lindt Panettone. Try it toasted and topped with Lindt Chocolate Hazelnut Spread – or even just a little butter. It’s also delicious as a dessert with ice cream and melted chocolate. Another option: use half the panettone to make this decadent Chocolatier-inspired French toast.
Vegetable oil, for greasing baking dish
½ loaf (500 g) Lindt Panettone
½ jar (100 g) Lindt Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup (250 mL) milk
½ cup (125 mL) whipping cream
2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
¼ cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- Lightly grease a 9 x 9-inch (23 x 23-cm) non-stick baking dish with vegetable oil.
- Cut the half panettone into ½-inch (1.25-cm) slices. (You should have 8 slices.) Spread a layer of Lindt Chocolate Hazelnut Spread over half of the slices and make sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half on the diagonal. Shingle the sandwich triangles into the pan so the points stick up and they’re evenly layered.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and sugar. Slowly pour over panettone triangles in baking dish and gently push down so that panettone absorbs the custard mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour minimum, but better still, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place baking dish in a larger roasting pan and pour hot water into roasting dish so that it comes about 1 inch (2.5 cm) up the side of the baking dish. Bake on the middle rack of the oven until puffy and golden brown, about 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from water bath, slice baked French toast into pieces and serve at once.