Originally made for Saint Nicholas Day and embossed with Christmas motifs, our spiced Speculaas cookies nod to Canadian winters with their snowflake shape.
- 1 + 2 bars (100 g each) Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) Redpath® Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (3 mL) ground cardamom
- ½ tsp (3 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (3 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3 mL) salt
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Melt 1 bar of Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate in a clean, dry heatproof bowl on top of a saucepan with a few inches of simmering water. Do not let water boil. Alternatively, melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt in 20- to 30-second increments, stirring every 20 seconds. Set aside to cool.
- Place butter, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a large bowl with an electric hand mixer), and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed, 2 minutes. Beat in cooled chocolate until well combined, 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Tip flour mixture into butter mixture. Mix on low speed, scraping down sides as needed, until mixture starts to form a dough. Gather into 2 balls, then flatten each into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). For easy rolling, dust a large sheet of plastic wrap with cocoa powder. Place 1 disc of dough on top. Lightly dust dough with cocoa. Top with another sheet of plastic. Roll out dough until ¼ inch (6 mm) thick. Cut out shapes using a 2-inch (5-cm) cookie press or cookie cutter. Place cookies ½ inch (1.25 cm) apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Re-roll scraps and continue cutting cookies with remaining dough.
- Bake cookies until edges are set, about 10 to 12 minutes. Move cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Cookies will crisp up as they cool.
- Melt remaining 2 bars of Lindt Excellence 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate. Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate. Place back onto a rack over a cookie sheet to set.