Lindt Milk Chocolate Lamingtons
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES (+ COOLING TIME) SERVINGS: 24
Introduce your guests to an Australian staple of cubed vanilla cake dipped in chocolate frosting and coconut.
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
5 large eggs
2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
¾ cup (180 mL) milk
1 bar (100 g) Lindt Swiss Classic Milk Chocolate, chopped
4 cups (1 L) icing sugar
3 cups (750 mL) unsweetened medium desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line bottom and sides of a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large bowl with an electric hand mixer), and beat on high speed until tripled in volume and very pale, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Sift flour mixture over egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture. Fold in cooled butter. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Leaving cake in pan, set on a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- While cake cools, make icing. Heat milk in a small pan until scalding hot (don’t boil). Place Lindt Swiss Classic Milk Chocolate in a large bowl. Pour hot milk overtop. Let sit 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in icing sugar and let cool.
- Once cake is cool, remove from pan and slice into 24 equal-sized pieces, each about 2 inches (5 cm) square. Place desiccated coconut on a baking sheet. Dip a cake square in the cooled icing, coating all sides, and let excess drip off. Coat square in coconut. Place on a wire rack. Continue with remaining squares. Refrigerate until icing has set, about 30 minutes.
SUBSTITUTION: For a less sweet version, switch the milk chocolate in the icing for Lindt Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate.