Chocolate Holiday Crackle
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES SERVINGS: 30
This ultra-simple dessert also happens to be irresistible.
Kid-friendly, adult-approved, party-ready: Keep some chocolate holiday crackle on hand for unexpected visitors, or wrap up a batch as a sweet DIY gift.
1 box of Tenderflake® Regular Pie Shells
1 cup (250 mL) salted butter, cubed
1 cup (250 mL) soft light brown sugar, packed
1 bar (300 g) Lindt Swiss Classic Gold Milk Chocolate, chopped
½ cup (125 mL) chopped nuts or holiday sprinkles (optional)
- Thaw pastry according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove both pie shells from their foil tins, and roll out dough. Using a fork, poke holes over the surface of the pie dough and transfer to parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat. Stir until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, bring to a boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly until deep golden brown in colour. For best results, use a candy thermometer and cook mixture to 300°F (149°C).
- Remove pan from heat and pour caramel mixture evenly over the baked pie crust. Spread mixture to the edges with a spatula. Allow to cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 300 g of Lindt Swiss Classic Gold Milk Chocolate. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until chocolate is fully melted. Spread evenly over caramel and let cool completely.
- Once chocolate has hardened, break pieces off and store in a container.